Google web analytics. We are constantly telling your customers that business is numbers.
WEB ANALYTICS. AN INDISPENSABLE ASSISTANT IN BUSINESS
And with the advent of the Internet these are numbers in a square. That is why you need to know not only your turnover, which sales plan for the next month or year.
Not only how much each manager sells, but also what is the traffic to your site.
What is Google web Analytics and why is it mission-critical?
You also need to know what the percentage of failures and where visitors come from. Google Analytics for the site will help with all this and even more.
For the sake of curiosity
Any internet analyst, and not just the internet by the way. Not out of idle curiosity, but because it helps in business.
There are numbers – you can work with them and improve your business. No numbers – work with nothing.
And this is confirmed by my last conversation with the client:
– My site sells poorly.
– How did you get this?
– I see that there are very few sales. I have been in business for 20 years, and I immediately feel that way.
– Let’s see more in detail (open web analytics). What do we see?
– How do I know? For this you are working with me to tell me what I should see here.
– We see that in the last week there were 112 applications. And how many sales were there?
– Everything, I understood. Went swearing at the managers.
– Before you swear, look at their analytics in the CRM system (Customer Relationship Management). And we will study the sources of applications in more detail. Not everything is immediately obvious.
By this conversation, I don’t want to show that the landing page developed by us and the traffic generated without any complaints.
It is quite possible that the problem is in the quality of the traffic or in the site itself. But if not established by Google Analytics attendance. We could not understand the situation so quickly and confidently.
If not for the analyst. We would make a conclusion through personal experience and quite possibly broke the wood.
For example, changing the site from head to toe, disabling the allegedly not high-quality advertising channel. Or would look for problems in the work of managers. We would think that they do not work well.
Web analytics is a system that helps collect and analyze data about site visitors. In order to further optimize or improve the site.
In simple words, a special code is set up on your site that collects all available information about site attendance.
About the visitors themselves (even includes the operating system with which the visitor came to the site). Their behavior on the site and dozens of other indicators.
Further, this information is collected in a special service and is further provided to you for manual analysis. This is web site analytics.
In general, the beginning of the birth of web analytics is considered to be 1993. When the company WebTrends launched its first system for counting site traffic.
However, I consider the launch to be full-fledged 2006, when Google launched a test version of Google Analytics, having previously bought Urchin Software Corporation and its Urchin project.
Retreat. First, he is always first. That is why Google Analytics pass-through analytics is by far the most important analytics tool for the entire Internet.
WHY AND WHAT WE FIND?
Based on the data obtained, you already decide what to do with the site, and here is a list of obvious.
But extremely important actions based on the numbers:
- Identify weaknesses and change the site;
- Rate and change the advertising campaign or seo promotion;
- Optimize the offers offered by your company.
I singled out the third point not by chance. We had previously created a product line for ourselves.
Namely, we watched which of our target visitors click much more. And so aware of what services customers expect from us the most.
Also, on the basis of a / b testing, we checked which offers (offers) are the most “tasty” for customers.
At the beginning of the article, I said that web analytics to sites allows you to see hundreds of marketing indicators. I did not exaggerate.
Let’s select the most important ones in the first stage:
- Number of applications;
- Number of purchases;
- Conversion of each advertising channel (advertising company);
- Keywords and phrases for which purchases / applications were made;
- Bounce rate;
- Newcomers and returning to the site;
- The time that visitors spent on your site;
- Number of pages viewed.
There are so many numbers in your hands that you need a separate person to study them completely, and they are called the web analyst.
If you go to any recruitment site. You will see that there are such people and vacancies. And the services of a good web analytics cost 1500-1700 dollars.
FREE WEB ANALYTICS TOOLS
Set or not set? Don’t even think about it. You need this functionality, even if you go there very rarely. After all, almost all web analytics systems are free.
And mean, set and forgotten until the moment X, which comes faster than you think.
Web analytics tools, including end-to-end analytics, can be listed for a long time, a great many of them.
But! Why spend time testing and studying when Google Analytics is the undisputed market leader? About her and talk.
Google web Analytics
Google is the world leader in web analytics. Is free and shows a huge amount of indicators. Including visitors and their behavior on the site in real time.
Moreover, for online stores there is a separate section, where everything is adapted for online sales.
Google Analytics provides detailed data on all visitors, displaying information about the region, operating system, provider, traffic source and other important parameters.
Principle of operation
Java Script from Google is installed on the site of the owner, which automatically tracks all transitions.
The system starts recording actions and movements as soon as the visitor enters any page of the resource.
And both direct referrals and visits from a search engine, social networks, advertising services and other sources are taken into account.
All data is sent to Google servers, where it is processed and systematized into a single database.
After some time, they are displayed in the control panel, where you can use various filters and widgets to view specific information.
Collecting statistics in Google provides great opportunities for site owners.
Select the main ones:
- Analytical tools. Full attendance summaries, user variables, traffic visualization, employee sharing, API tools, and so on;
- Content analysis. Statistics of all pages of the site, analysis of download speed, event tracking. A large set of tools that allows you to get information about the most popular pages of the resource;
- Mobile data analysis. Evaluation of the effectiveness of mobile ads, analysis of applications, conversion statistics from mobile devices;
- Analysis of social activity. The impact of social networks and user transitions, detailed statistics of reposts of materials, commercial benefits;
- Conversion analysis. Detailed statistics for goals and conversions, sales optimization, tracking the effectiveness of advertising campaigns, visualization of transitions on the site;
- Analysis of advertising. A tool for analyzing and comparing different sources of advertising, increasing marketing efficiency and integrating with the Ads service.
How to install and configure the service
To work with the service used to create a Google account. Sign up as a new user or log in with https://www.google.com/analytics/.
- Log in to your account in the service and click the “Administrator” tab.
- In the menu that opens, click on the “Account” tab and select the account for which you want to add a site.
- In the menu that opens, click the Create Resource tab.
- Specify why you connect analytics, “Site” or “Mobile application”.
- We are considering an example for the site. Specify the name of the resource (for yourself), the URL, the industry and the time zone and click the “Get ID” button.
- Agree to the conditions and confirm the operation.
- You will be shown a snippet of code from Google Analytics, which must be installed on the resource in order to record user actions and keep statistics.
- Copy it and paste into the footer (basement) of the site. It can be placed at the beginning of the page between the head tags.
- For popular CMS, there are specialized plug-ins that allow installing a code in a few clicks using only a user ID.
Attendance parameters in Google web Analytics
Attendance parameters in Google Analytics are built from a large amount of data collected by the system about users. We conditionally divided them into 4 blocks.
Summary data on site traffic. It tracks the number of pages viewed, unique and non-unique sessions, the general audience, new visitors.
Characteristics of the audience. Visitor activity (number of pages visited by a unique user, average interest, geographical distribution based on IP).
Sources of users. Tracking sites from which the transition was made, direct transitions, a full pool of key requests from search engines, traffic sources by groups.
The popularity of sections and pages on the site. A complete analysis of the attendance of each page, section, category, list of popular pages for each user.
This is only part of the parameters by which Google evaluates site traffic and provides data to webmasters.
In the aggregate, full analytics is conducted and every visitor’s activity is recorded. So that on the basis of this information the owner could analyze how interesting his resource is to users.
To which region are the bulk of visitors, which pages cause the greatest interest.
What you can learn from Google Analytics reports
The statistics collected using Google’s analytic tool allows you to understand which mistakes were made in the layout, in the arrangement of elements, in text materials, etc.
Thanks to the reports you can find out:
- The speed of loading pages. One of the important factors influencing the ranking in the search engines;
- Event Tracking. Full information on clicking on various buttons, on transitions between pages, on filling in various forms;
- Distribution of platforms. It is important to focus not only on personal computers, but also on mobile devices. Thanks to the tools for collecting statistics on the site Analytics you will determine what percentage of users visit the resource from mobile devices, tablets, PCs;
- Analysis of sales and conversions. Detailed statistics and analysis of all user actions with banners, information panels, videos. From the reports you can understand what factors affect the conversion and sales;
- Analysis of advertising spaces. Use contextual advertising? Can’t figure out which ad is most effective? Analytics will provide detailed reports on all advertisements and tell you which blocks are the most effective;
- Activity in social networks. Analytical tool automatically tracks the activity of users in social networks and on your website. You will receive a complete statistics repost materials from the resource.
This is not all. End-to-end analytics
Surprise! But actually not. The conversation now goes a little bit in a different direction. Analytics in marketing is, of course, good.
However, it takes time, and if you are not an experienced web analyst who is ready to work with a large amount of numbers and draw independent conclusions from it, then this is not a little for you.
You need more end-to-end business analytics, which will show not just the total number of site visitors, but how many visitors came from one or another advertising channel, and how much money they made purchases. This is if very simplistic.
Configuring end-to-end analytics is much more complicated, but all this will be justified at the output.
For analysis, you will only need to go to the service and watch the results. And do not dive into different tabs and try to catch the connection.
The setup sequence is as follows:
- Select end-to-end analytics service;
- Get the tracking code;
- Paste the code on the monitored pages of the site;
- Configure the analytics system.
At first glance, the sequence is the same. But the devil is in the details.
First, Analytics, although it became associated, is like end-to-end business analytics.
However, this is not fully the case. Therefore, I recommend using specially crafted projects for this which are very numerous on the Internet.
Secondly, the most difficult is the setting.
To see the statistics for each channel, you need to connect all the advertising channels that you use (contextual advertising, targeted advertising on Facebook, e-mail marketing, and so on).
You can see the cost of one application, you need to have your goals properly configured and integrated into the end-to-end analytics system.
To see the cost of a single client, you need to be configured to integrate with your CRM system.
In general, code is the simplest when setting up end-to-end analytics.
And for this you need the call tracking function. Often, call tracking is not a separate function for tracking, but one of the parts that needs to be added to end-to-end analytics to see the full picture.
Fortunately, for setting up such systems, the services themselves are ready to go to a meeting and help in this matter.
In addition, each system has its own walkthroughs with images on the topic “How to connect end-to-end analytics in our service”.
If you have a website and there is no web analytics, then right now (by running!) Solve this question. This does not require special knowledge and it’s enough to have access to the site hosting.
Why is this so important? I’ll tell you another story about our new client, who had a website, but there was no analytics system.
We put him Google.Analytics and found that the site, which was made for the brand image, comes daily from 50 to 80 target customers.
What have we done? Began to urgently optimize the site. And without this information, he would have continued so simply further.
End-to-end analytics, what to say, it’s pretty darn good. Provided that you have a study of site traffic. Entry of all data to the CRM system.
And a pretty good budget for contextual advertising, seo promotion, targeted advertising and so on. In general, when there is something to study and analyze.